The T.E.A.C.H. Early Childhood® National Center was established in 2000 in response to the growth and expansion of the T.E.A.C.H. Early Childhood® Scholarship Initiative and Child Care WAGE$® Initiative and to ensure the development, integrity and expansion of T.E.A.C.H., WAGE$ and other integrated education and compensation initiatives.
Celebrating 30 Years of T.E.A.C.H.
Then – 1990 (North Carolina)
- Piloted 21 teachers
- Operated in three counties in North Carolina
- Offered one scholarship model – associate degree
- Leveraged $23,100 from five funding sources
- Purchased college credits in two community colleges and no universities
To Date – 2020 (Nationally)
- Established initiative with more than 174,000 early educators to date
- Provide T.E.A.C.H. scholarships in 35 states and D.C.
- Offering an array of scholarship models for ECE credentials, certificates and associate, bachelor’s and master’s degrees
- Leveraged $583 million to date in direct public and private investments
- Purchased college credits in more than 600 higher education institutions
1989 — Child Care WAGE$® recommendation for salary supplement program from first child care workforce study completed in N.C.
1990 — First T.E.A.C.H. Early Childhood® scholarship awarded in N.C., through Child Care Services Association
1994 — Pilot for 99 participants awarded WAGE$ salary supplements in Orange County, N.C. through Child Care Services Association
1996 — New states licensed to implement T.E.A.C.H. programs
1999 — WAGE$ becomes a statewide initiative in N.C.
2000 — T.E.A.C.H. Early Childhood® National Center at Child Care Services Association established; 10 years of T.E.A.C.H. celebrated
2001 — First T.E.A.C.H. National Conference held; T.E.A.C.H. National Advisory Committee formed; initial state awarded WAGE$ License
2003 — Foundation-funded research reveals the value and importance of the Center’s national work
2004 — T.E.A.C.H. Early Childhood® identified as a successful model of non-profit policy diffusion by The Urban Institute; 10 years of WAGE$ celebrated
2008 — T.E.A.C.H. investments reach $200 million nationally
2010 — 20 years of T.E.A.C.H. celebrated; 100,000 T.E.A.C.H. scholarships awarded
2013 — I Make a Difference for Young Children. Ask Me How. campaign launched
2014 — 24 states and D.C. operate T.E.A.C.H. Early Childhood® Scholarship programs; 20 years of WAGE$ celebrated
2015 — 25 years of T.E.A.C.H. Early Childhood® celebrated
2018 — 150,000 T.E.A.C.H. scholarships awarded; T.E.A.C.H. investments reach $500 million nationally
2019 — WAGE$ operating in six states; 25 years of WAGE$ celebrated
2020 — 30 years of T.E.A.C.H. celebrated
2021 — Established Step Up to T.E.A.C.H. and Step Up to WAGE$ to utilize ARPA funds